Requirements for a New Task Sequence
- Single task sequence for New build / Bare metal build, Re-build / Re-fresh and Migration.
- Should able to use the same task sequence for user initiated builds, OEM builds and bare metal builds.
- Task sequence should check the Windows 7 compatible models. If the target machine is not compatible, then the TS should give an MSG window to the logged in user and exit gracefully otherwise the TS should continue through the entire build process.
- Add different times zones based on end user location when chosen by the technician
- Deploy various applications based on the technicians choice
- Choose the build type by technicians choice
- Auto populate the build types based on the machine state and flag files
- USMT to a network share using offline method (USMT offline in WinPE)
Above are the basic and simple list of requirements and list will grow based on the complexity of the organisation. To accomplish a task sequence with above requirements we will be using various scripts (Batch, VB, HTA), MDT and other utilities (OSD++ and App tree) which work with SCCM 2007/ 2012. There may be other ways to achieve this goal but this is what I have done and succeeded.
I have divided the whole process into various steps to ease the complexity and eliminate the errors. This Visio diagram gives an idea of the Task Sequence workflow.
Below are the individual steps for the proposed Task Sequence;
22.214.171.124 Prepare the drives
126.96.36.199 Pre-State Store Rebuild
1.6.1 Custom machine name
1.6.2 Apply Driver packages
1.6.3 Apply Windows Settings
1.6.4 Apply Network Settings
1.6.5 Setup Windows and ConfigMgr
1.8.1 Deploy hardware Driver Apps
1.8.2 Deploy Tier - 1 Apps
1.8.3 Deploy Tier - 2 Apps
1.8.4 Additional Application configuration