Monday, July 8, 2013

Error sending DAV request. HTTP code 500, status 'Internal Server Error'

After installing SCCM 2012 in my LAB, I am able to deploy applications using normal deployment method. But when I choose Software center to install application, the application stuck at ‘downloading information’ stage. I have waited few hours but no difference.
I have started looking into the logs and found an error msg in DataTransferService.log  and it shows the following error. 
Successfully sent location services HTTP failure message.
Error sending DAV request. HTTP code 500, status 'Internal Server Error'
GetDirectoryList_HTTP('http://WIN2008.SCCM2012.LAB:80/SMS_DP_SMSPKG$/LAB0000C') failed with code 0x87d0027e.    DataTransferService  7/8/2013 8:51:36 PM  3028 (0x0BD4)
Error retrieving manifest (0x87d0027e).  Will attempt retry 1 in 30 seconds.     DataTransferService 7/8/2013 8:51:36 PM    3028 (0x0BD4)
The error message ironically tells you there is a problem with IIS and it also tells you that there is an error retrieving manifest in other words content on the share.
So, I have opened up the advanced settings of SMS_DP_SMSPKG$ in IIS by going IIS -> Sites -> Default web site -> SMS_DP_SMSPKG$ -> Manage Application -> Advanced Settings
Once I opened the advanced settings, I have noticed that the physical path for SCCMContentLib is wrong. I have changed the DP storage location from one drive to other drive after the initial setup. Somehow SCCM ContentLib path not updated in IIS,
So I have updated the correct path then restarted the IIS manager then refreshed the software center on the client machine.
Instantly the status message changed from downloading information to "downloading progress" then "Installing".


  1. Thanks for this venu - Ive been chewing this over for weeks and you had the answer!

  2. Man you have saved my life. Excellent post and easy to follow.

  3. Thank you so much. I've been loosing my mind trying to solve this for weeks!!!!!

  4. Hi,

    We've got the same issue on our Windows Server 2012 R2 DP's. (Using SCCM 2012 SP1)

    Adding the ASP.NET 4.5 Role (and proposed Features) under Roles and Features > "Web Server (IIS)" > "Web Server" > "Application Development" solved our issue.

    For more details see

  5. Thank you so much. An excellent post

  6. Excellent find, this saved me a bit of troubleshooting to figure out what was going on at one of my secondary sites.

  7. Awesome, thankyou for posting this, client downloads now working! Having now seen the incorrect setting, I realise that I'd changed the drive letter of the volume after installing the DP role. Note to self - set volume drive letters /before/ installing DP role!