Monday, December 2, 2013

Task Sequence failed with error code 0x80004002


Recently I started re-building the lab after finishing my 6 months trail period.
So started building the lab from scratch. As part of setup I have started building the new task sequence and added few packages.
While testing the task sequence, the task sequence always started failing when installing the first application with task sequence failed error code 80070002.

Smsts.log provided following information;
Failed to run the action: Installing Application
The system cannot find the file specified. (Error: 80070002; Source: Windows)
Operation aborted (Error: 80004004; Source: Windows)
The system cannot find the file specified. (Error: 80070002; Source: Windows)

When I created the package I made sure that the package has been distributed to the DP’s and the Task Sequence has resolved all the associated packages before initiating the actual deploy task sequence.
Next step is, I wanted to manually check the contents of the source files on the actual Distribution Point. So I browsed to the package location on the DP and I cannot see any files related to the package. But according to the package content status in SCCM console, the content has been distributed successfully.

Quick review on the package properties has showed me that the options which I have missed when I created the package.
I missed an option under package share settings.

To fix above error;
Open the package properties, then go to Data Access tab.
Under Package Share Settings, select Copy the content in this package to a package share on distribution points

Now, right click on the package then run update the distribution points task.
If we go and check on the DP, the package contents should be distributed to all the nominated DP’s.

1 comment:

  1. I pulled my hair out to find the cause of the problem for the deployment fail.
    Always received above error and your post solved the problem.

    ReplyDelete