This is a quick guide to upgrade SCCM 2012 SP2 or SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 to CU3.
Before you start the upgrade;
- Backup site database
- Make sure the backup database is valid and ready for restore
- Make sure you have appropriate permissions to perform the tasks
- Restart the Primary server
Before the upgrade the console will looks as below (If you have SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 CU2 installed)
Before the upgrade the registry for CU level will looks as below (If you have SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 CU2 installed)
The CU3 is the same for SCCM 2012 SP2 and SCCM 2012 R2.
Download CU3 from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3135680
Extract the 490232_ENU_x64_zip.exe to a convenient location.
1. Run CM12_SP2R2SP1CU3-KB3135680-X64-ENU.exe as Administrator and click next on Welcome to Configuration Manager Update Installer window
2. Agree the Microsoft licence terms and conditions then click Next;
3. Review the Prerequisite check details. Fix any errors, then Click Next;
4. Choose option whether to update the console or not. I won’t see any reason why we don’t want to update the console. So select the check box to Install the update for the Configuration Manager console then click next
5. Choose option to update the database or not. Choose an option then click next
6. Choose desired options under Deployment Assistance Options, to create packages for the site server, console and client upgrade packages;
7. Click next on update package for servers window;
8. Click next on update package for consoles window;
9. Click next on update package for clients window;
10. Review the CU3 Installation summary, Once ready click Install
11. Monitor the installation progress
12. Wait untill all the tasks are completed successfully;
13. Review the cm12_sp2r2sp1cu3-kb3135680-x64-enu.log under C:\Windows\Temp\ for detailed installation status;
14. Click Finish on Installation Complete window;
15. Now restart the server.
Post Installation Verification:
1. After the restart launch the console and click on About Configuration Manager.
About Configuration Manager Window will show as below;
Console Version: 5.0.8239.1403
2. Check CULevel under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SMS\Setup registry key and it should display 3 as below;
Upgrading Consoles and Clients: